This simple yet classic and flavoursome dish makes a great dinner treat packed full of nutrients that are sure to leave you feeling good!
- 400 g Penne pasta
- 2 tsp salt (plus a pinch to add to your water)
- 2 tsp pepper
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 ½ tsp oregano
- 1 ½ tsp basil
- 1 ½ tsp thyme
- 1 tsp parsley
- 500 g tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- Pinch of sugar (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and add your chopped onions and cook over a low heat until soft. Add the garlic powder and cook for a minute more, stirring regularly.
- While your onions are cooking, place your chopped tomatoes into a blender and blend until smooth (If you don’t have a blender a hand mixer should work just fine).
- Add your blended tomatoes to your saucepan and bring to the boil. Once it begins to boil reduce your heat to a simmer and leave until your desired thickness, stirring occasionally.
- Add a pinch of sugar if needed to get rid of bitterness.
- This sauce can be kept in the fridge for up to a week or frozen for up to 2 months.
- Fill a pan with water and a pinch of salt and bring to the boil, once the water is boiling add your penne pasta and leave to cook, stirring occasionally to ensure it doesn’t stick.
- Take your homemade sauce from earlier and ensure it is cooking on a low heat. Add your salt, pepper, oregano, basil, thyme and parsley and stir until well mixed.
- Take a spoonful of your pasta water and add it to your sauce, this will help it stick to your pasta when we mix it.
- Once your pasta has cooked, drain out the water and add the pasta to your sauce. Mix until the pasta is evenly coated.
- Now serve up your delicious pasta and enjoy your hearty meal!