March 26, 2021
Caramelised Banana Porridge
Sweet and creamy, this banana porridge is full of flavour and quick and easy to make.
- 1 ripe spotty banana
- 25 g of brown sugar
- 2 tbsp of water
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of rolled oats
- 1 cup of plant milk of your choice (I used oat milk)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- Smooth peanut butter
- Handful of hemp hearts
- Small handful of nuts of your choice
- In a small saucepan mix your oats with the plant milk. Add the cinnamon + pinch of sea salt. Let it cook on medium heat until it thickens and the oats have soften (should be about 5 min with rolled oats)
- Cut your banana in half and then side ways, so you have banana ‘slices’.
- In a non-stick pan add your sugar, with the water on medium heat. Mix a little, and wait for it to caramelise. Watch it once it starts as it goes fast! Lower the heat if needed.
- Once the caramelisation has started add your bananas in. Add a few drops of vanilla extract, and a knob of vegan butter. Cook for a couple of minutes on each side making sure that the caramel doesn’t burn too much.
- They’re ready when the bananas have soften a bit and look golden brown!
- While you’re making your bananas, keep an eye on the oats!
- When everything is ready, pour your oats in your prettiest bowl. Place the caramelised bananas on one side. Drizzle as much peanut butter as you fancy. A sprinkle of hemp hearts, and some other nuts are optional but add a nice crunch! I topped it all off with a tiny sprinkle of cinnamon, because at this time of the year you can’t have too much cinnamon.
Thanks for the lovely recipe Tania!