July 01, 2021
Coconutty Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
This delicious soup is the perfect dish to enjoy with a vast range of toppings to add more character and taste.
Makes: 3 portions.
- 1 large butternut squash (600 g cooked flesh)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 tin full fat coconut milk
- 1.5 tbsp almond butter
- 1/2 + 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 + 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- Toasted pumpkin seeds
- Coconut yogurt
- Coconut chips
- Desiccated coconut
- Spring onions
- Fresh coriander
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Cut the butternut in half. Scrap out the seeds. Brush with oil and bung the halves onto a baking tray.
- Whack in the oven for around 1 hour or until the butternut is completely soft.
- For the soup. In a saucepan, fry onions in the coconut oil till soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in the spices, garlic and ginger, cook for 2 minutes stirring regularly.
- Whack in the remaining ingredients, bring up to the boil and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Pour into a blender and blitz till smooth - you may have to do this in batches to achieve a velvet smooth texture.
- If eating straight away, add back into the pan and heat till warm.
- Bung into bowls, top with toppings and dig in!
- For the roasted butternut - this can be done in advance or used straight from the oven.
Thanks for the lovely recipe Loretta!